Saturday, September 19, 2009

I-choooo! A cold for my wedding day

I-chooo!
By Scott Harris

My wife and I wanted a very romantic wedding and what day could be more romantic than Valentine's Day? We timed out the weekend perfectly since President's Day just happened to fall on the weekend during Valentine's Day and this gave us the opportunity to invite out-of-town friends and relatives who might not otherwise been able to attend.

My wife is a hardy New England gal accustomed to brutal Winters, whereas, I was a Southern California guy who only experienced a full Winter once. So, as we were busy during our final two weeks of our wedding planning. A cold started going around my office. I had suffered two colds already that winter and didn't want this one - especially now!

I turned into a cleaning maniac and a germaphobe! I walked around the office with a mask and gloves (and was teased mercilessly by my co-workers. All in good fun of course, they knew my wedding was coming up but, still loved to rib me.)

One week to go and relatives and friends started to arrive, and, I thought I was safe. I thought I beat that cold bug. And then I got a sneezing fit (for me it's sure sign a cold is coming on.) Two days before our wedding that nasty little cold bug reared it's ugly head. I caught the office cold and it was a bad one. I spent the day doing everything possible to get rid of it. I knew it would take a miracle but, I still had to try.

I woke up on our wedding day with a high fever, aching, and, sneezing like crazy. Of course I couldn't cancel our wedding, so, I loaded up with tissues and headed to the church.

When my beautiful bride to be appeared in the door way of the church. I was amazed I could feel so rotten and so wonderful at the same time. As the ceremony went through the usual steps we got to the "And do you Scott take this woman as your lawfully wedded wife" part and it happened...

I felt it coming on as the minster was asking the question. I was twitching my nose so fast I probably could have given any bunny rabbit a run for the money in the hopes I could hold it back. Just as the minister got the words out, I started to say "I do" when a enormously loud sneeze came out with it and I proclaimed "I-chooooo"

The church burst out in full hysterical laughter for a good five solid minutes. Unfortunately with that sneeze I passed my cold along to the minister and my poor wife. Instead of spending our honeymoon in Hawaii as planned, we spent in bed and not in a good way. And even though we've been married for years now, anyone who was at my wedding reminds me without failure that I'm the guy who said "I-chooo" instead of "I do".

I happen to have a cold right now and stumbled across this site and since it askes people to submit their funny cold stories I thought I'd share mine. I hope you enjoyed it and yes it's a true story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Headlines