Monday, September 21, 2009

Our anniversary colds

My boyfriend and I had our first date on Halloween which was cold, drizzling night and we weren't dressed for the weather. Regardless, we had a terrific time and couldn't wait to see each other again. We made a date for the following night and it was raining heavier that night. We did the usual second date thing - dinner in a nice restaurant and we had plans to continue on to the movies. As we were driving along we heard thump, thump, thump, thump, thump, thump and pulled over to discover what we didn't want to admit in the car. We had a flat. We also had no umbrella and was really coming down hard. We got the tire changed but not after being splashed by several cars and getting soaked from head to toe.

My place was closer so we agreed to forgo the movie and head to my place to dry off. My boyfriend, being the gentleman, insisted that I shower and change first. And, then he followed me. We had a nice evening at my place and didn't think much of the flat other than it was a complete annoyance.

The following day my boyfriend called me up very excited that he had the chance to go to Europe for the weekend for his work and asked me if I wanted to join him. It turns out he was heading Switzerland and me being a complete ski buff said yes without thinking twice since he was going to Zermatt (which is close to the Matterhorn so I knew snow would be on the ground in early November.)

I could not wait until Friday evening where we would meet in the airport, have a less than memorable dinner at a fast food place, and, boarded our plane. We must have been really absorbed into each other because it was hours before we realized the person directly in front of us had a terrible cold. We kept hearing "Achooo" but I guess neither of us gave it any thought.

We arrived at our very upscale hotel and while I noticed the desk clerk sniffling, again, due to the "newness" of my boyfriend, didn't pay much attention. Likewise, until the bellmen let out a loud, uncontrolled sneezed for which he apologized profusely - we were blind to the fact everyone around us had colds, and, we just got off a plane which are notorious germs spreaders.

We went to bed and the next morning I awoke like it was Christmas morning. I ran down to the lobby to find out about the skiing conditions only to find out the slopes weren't open yet. Well that bust my bubble. Disappointed, my boyfriend and I decided to go to town and do a little window shopping and sightseeing. Seems like everyone was sniffling or sneezing. I figured it was the cold air since was only in the 30s.

We had a lovely dinner and decided to take advantage of the hotel's hot tub. We stayed in there for a long time, I think I nodded off to sleep for a few minutes before my boyfriend woke me and told me we had better go inside. That's when we realised we locked ourselves out of our room. There we were soaking wet from head to toe in freezing cold weather running to the front of the hotel in our bathing suits. The desk clerk who had been sniffling the night before now had a full blown, pretty awful cold and a huge sneezing fit took place as we stood there shivering.

The minute we got back into our room we ran into the shower and made it as hot as we could take it and held each other for warmth. We got into bed and snuggled tight and then I sneezed and then my boyfriend sneezed. Neither of us wanted to say it. I sneezed again twice and he sneezed a few more times that evening. As we slept I could feel my throat getting sore and my nose getting stuffed up.

I woke up the next morning with one of the worst colds of my life. My boyfriend was no better. We both had fevers, chills, and, and stayed in bed for an entire week. I still shutter when I remember how sick we both were that week!

The very next year we returned on the same dates, but, this time got engaged! However we both ended up with colds again and ever since that fateful trip, like clock-work, we BOTH catch our "anniversary colds", almost as if choreographed, even if we aren't together. While it's horrible as it is happening there is no one else on this planet that I'd rather share a cold with then my now husband. And since we're coming into the Fall, like clockwork, on November 3rd both my husband and I will be in bed with colds. Get the tissues ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Headlines