Sunday, September 27, 2009

Thanksgiving, Ice Fishing and a Sneeze


Thanksgiving, Ice Fishing and a Sneeze by Mike Zuczek

I was never ice fishing before in my life but, when I got involved with a women from Minnesota and she invited me home for Thanksgiving a few years ago, I began reading about it since I knew this was something both her Father and brothers enjoyed doing. I wanted to show the family I am joiner - a man's man. I bought all the equipment and was ready to meet the family and try this new sport.

We arrived in my girlfriend's hometown, and, it seems everyone really does know everyone else in these small towns. I found it refreshing and welcoming.

After all the meet and greets I was feeling a bit run down. I figured it was the traveling and stress of meeting her family. Without warning my girlfriend let out a huge sneeze and announced "I have a cold." I stopped in my tracks and looked her in the eye and said "you sneezed once, how could you possibly have a cold."

Her reply was "I only sneeze when I am getting a cold or have a cold." I looked at her in disbelief, and, honestly began questioning what I saw in this girl. I wasn't about to get serious with a hypochondriac! However, I promised I wasn't going to ruin the Holiday weekend for me or her.

We walked into her house and were warmly greeted by her parents and siblings. I was shown my room and got myself settled in. As I came down the stairs I heard my girlfriend sneeze again and her Mother said "Honey why didn't you say you had a cold?" I stood there for just a second. Could it be this family didn't have any idea what a cold was all about? All she did was sneeze twice. She wasn't feverish. She wasn't congested. She didn't have a sore throat. Now I was worried about spending an entire 4-day weekend with these people.

Not one more sneeze occurred that evening or the next. The morning after Thanksgiving, as expected, I was invited ice fishing. It went fairly well but, I didn't come home with anything... Well, no fish at least...but, I did manage to catch a cold. From my girlfriend? Unlikely but who knows at this point.

That night I didn't feel well at all, my throat throbbed, my head pounded, I was getting stuffed up. I knew I was catching cold and was going to explain to my girlfriend that this is a cold and what she did was considered a sneeze. I got into an arguement with her and her entire family who insisted that my girlfriend had a cold.

The next morning I woke sick as a dog and HAD to get my flight home. My girlfriend tried to make up with me and said "Ah poor baby, you caught my cold" and a fight broke out on the flight. By the time we landed we had broken up - over a cold mind you. We said our farewell at the baggage claim at the airport and the next morning I got a call from her - she sounded terrible. She had finally caught a real cold. Another argument ensued and I simply hung up - strangely satisfied that this girl who never had a real cold in her life finally felt the misery the rest of us feel when we get a cold.

I didn't give her much thought until I ran across this site asking for stories about catching colds. I'm not sure if this is going to get picked to be posted but, I thought I'd give it a try. It's weird how some people have really never had a cold in their life, and, while I don't wish a cold on anyone please don't sneeze and call it a cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Headlines